Thursday, June 18, 2009

Our trip to General Conference

When Keslie turned 8 a couple years ago I wanted to take her to Utah for General Conference since she was old enough to go in. That didn't happen, and so this year when I knew that Riley would turn 8 just before General Conference in April I decided that we better take this opportunity to take both of them since it would be a couple more years before we could go again (I am due General Conference weekend in October). We left Carson and Garrett with my parents and Stefan's parents. We knew it would be too hard of a trip to take them with us.

We left on Thursday (not as early as we should have). We had to stop at the dam in Page to show the kids. They were pretty amazed by it!






I wanted to go through Zion's National Park so that added more on to our time. I love driving through the long tunnel. The bad thing was that it was pretty much dark when we drove through, but the good part was that we didn't have to pay the $25 entry fee (which I didn't know about) just to drive through.

Here are a couple of pictures, but like I said it was pretty much dark so you can't see the pictures really well.



We were supposed to make it almost to Salt Lake City that day to stay with my aunt & uncle. Because we left so late by the time we got to Cedar City we were tired and ready to stop for the night. We were able to find a cheap hotel for the night.

On Friday morning we were on the road again. I started out driving. It had been a mixture of rain and snow while I was driving. After a while I got tired and was going to pull over for Stefan to drive. When I started to go onto the exit ramp I applied the brakes, and then all of the sudden I hit a patch of black ice. It spun me back onto the freeway and the car seemed to be sliding all over the place. I had no idea what to do. It was like I was watching it all in slow motion. I was so afraid that we were going to flip. I think the car spun around one full time. By the time it was over with the car came to a stop in the emergency lane. We were all freaked out, especially the kids!! I was so thankful that there weren't any other cars right around or we would have hit them. I know that we were being watched over. We were so grateful that we were safe.

We made it to Salt Lake a couple of hours later. We spent the day touring church sites. First we went to Welfare Square. We learned a lot about the welfare system of the church. At Welfar Square they have DI, an employment center, a grain mill, and a cannery. We got to see the place where they make bread and cheese, and bottle milk. Because it was Friday there wasn't much going on so we didn't get to see a lot of stuff (machines & people) in action.






We went and checked into our hotel and then walked down to Temple Square. We went to the visitor's center and saw a presentation about families. Then we walked around the Temple and the Conference Center. It had been a long day for us so we headed back tour hotel to relax. There was an Olive Garden right next to our hotel so that is where we went for dinner.







On Saturday, we got up early because we had tickets to get into the Conference Center. It was a neat experience being able to be inside the Conference Center. We got to be there when Elder Neil L. Andersen was called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. After the session was over, we went back to the hotel for lunch. Since we came all the way to Utah for conference, I wanted to go back to Temple Square for the afternoon session to watch it. We didn't have tickets for the Conference Center again, so I was just thinking that we would try to get in to the Tabernacle. Stefan left a few minutes ahead of us to see if we could by chance get into the Conference Center again. Luckily he found someone who was giving away 4 tickets. The bad thing was that two tickets where in one spot, and two were in another so we had to split up, but we were glad that we got to go in again.


I loved the pretty flowers that were on Temple Square!





That evening Stefan went to the priesthood session and the kids and I went swimming in the hotel pool. The pool was supposed to be heated, but it didn't feel heated to me. The kids got in for a couple of minutes and then they were ready to get out. When Stefan got back we went to IHOP for dinner. It had been another long day! We went back to the hotel and crashed!

On Sunday morning we woke up and watched conference on TV in the hotel. After the first session of conference we headed back for home. We didn't want the kids to miss any more school, and Stefan had to get back for work. It was a long drive home.

We made a quick stop to play in the snow.



No comments: